From: <NetWorthTK@aol.com>
To: <Ali.Ghiasi@Eng.sun.com>; <stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org>; <bradley.booth@intel.com>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

> Ghiasi:
>
> If you have 75% support for 6-PMDs to include parallel-interconnect, I will
> vote for parallel, since I support all VCSEL technologies.  Otherwise, 5-PMDs
> is sufficient already.
>
> The Parallel approach is mainly for up to 20 meter connections.  It is not
> designed for 100 meter to go through ducked, or underfloor pipe
> installations, because a ribbon fiber is not jacketed enough for those rough,
> punishing pulling environment.

I strongly disagree with your statement. Ribbon fiber cables are as rigid as one can think of being the
design of choice for the telco market. There is no difference in cabling single, two or ribbon fiber structures.

Furthermore, at the patch panel connections,
> the fibers are all single (duplex fibers) fibers, but not 4-parallel (duplex)
> fibers.  For a parallel fiber to connect to an existing single (duplex) fiber
> at the patch panel, one has to perform field termination, to which a parallel
> fiber is not designed for due to the tight tolerance of spacing between
> adjacent channels.  Normally, the parallel ribbon fiber cable is factory
> terminated only.

Sorry to correct you again. Ribbon fiber is much easier and more cost effective to terminate than single
fiber structures. Reason being is that the cable preparation and cable management is much less
complicated. Connector termination is same for both once ribbon is separated into individual fibers.

> However, if the parallel fibers are used just as a jumper cable to
> interconnect closely located nodes -- 5 meter, 10 meter,-- the ribbon cable
> can do the job.  Then, how about the serial 850 nm approach, which is
> cheaper, and easier eventually to reach more than 20 meters?

I will not get into cost arguments. we've seen enough of it over the past 12 months.

> I was a member of OETC consortium in early 1991, which promoted the parallel
> interconnect in industry with the blessing from ARPA.  The project failed
> several years later due to the lack of interest from industry.  The reason
> was too expensive, difficult in termination and alignment, and expensive
> ribbon cables.

> I was a big fun for, the industry first commercial parallel interconnect,
> OCTOBUS.  I tried very hard to implement to my company's equipment.  After
> several years, the product never reach production stage, and was canceled,
> due to the lack of interest from industry.  The reason was the same as OETC.
>
> There was only two ribbon cable suppliers and was expensive that time.  The
> factory only termination was very inconvenient for users.  It implies there
> is no flexibility in modifying the cable lengths, when an equipment, or
> terminals are rearranged to a different location.  One has to go back to
> order new set of cables?
>
> For last 10 years, parallel interconnect was highly valued; however, it was
> never motorized as a contender for the top interconnect solutions.  I hope it
> will this time?

Based on the amount of traffic on this topic I'd say you're right on the money.