Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Paul and Bruce:

I appreciate both of you in devoting more attention to sub-300 meter fiber
requirements.  I believe many people have different interpretation of sub-300
meter needs, which is more complex than we like to see.

In reality, there are equipment jumper cables (20 meter or less), computer
room cables (100 meter or less, and premises, building-to-building, campus
(300 meter) cables, All of them were treated differently by LAN people in
cost, quantity, handling, and implementation objectives.  These are the
reasons, so far we cannot reach the consensus to have only 1310 nm WWDM for
all under 300 meter applications.

If we continue to open up more discussion in sub-300 meter connections, and
add sufficient varieties of PMDs, we may eventually gain more understanding
from over 75% of voters to reach consensus.

Regards,

Ed Chang
NetWorth Technologies, Inc.

 Paul:

 We are free to add additional objectives as we see the need.  But when we
 crafted and debated the 300 meter objective everyone who spoke on the issue
 in the ad hoc, in the study group, and during the meeting in York referred
 to either installed fiber links in building and campus backbones or pulling
 new fiber into the same building and campus backbones. Even without the
 word installed in the objective, the 300 meter value was justified in terms
 of the lengths of campus and building backbone links.

 If we need an objective to support storage applications, lets investigate
 what is needed and come up with an objective based discussion and data.

 Bruce