Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Rich,

You are entirely correct bout the issue of 75% to make any changes at this
late date.  And I am in no way taking issue with what Chris Diminico
said.  What I was hoping to express was the concept that the 300m objective
as I understood it never specifically included "installed" or "legacy"
fiber.  From what I understood, the only distance objective that
specifically included "installed" or "legacy" fiber was the 100m
objective.  The reason that the 100m distance was at 100m was because of
the "tradition" of 802.3.  The ISO cabling specifications referenced by
802.3z and in the York motion were based on the original technical
limitations of copper based 10mb Ethernet, not fiber base Ethernet.  As
Geoff Thompson just stated in
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg03199.html, if we are no longer
bound by the tradition of "100m" because the technology does not apply,
then we are able to define other specifications that are more appropriate
to the technology and the market.

As an executive from a large network service provider recently stated to me
in reference to the applications of the new Ethernet technology, "We are
not in Kansas any more".  The traditional, comfortable, ways of at looking
at the way Ethernet is deployed can be a handicap.  By re-evaluating how
Ethernet CAN be deployed based on customer requirements and technology
possibilities, P802.3ae can become even more THE "global" data link level
protocol.  One of the basic distinctions is that the TF needs to be
listening to the customers and asking the customers what they need instead
of continuing to try to tell the customer what they are going to get.  If
the TF fails to do that, then IEEE will lose control of the Ethernet
standard.  This has already partially happened at ITU SG7 and in the case
of "jumbo frames".

Thank you,
Roy Bynum