Re: Equalization and benefits of Parallel Optics.

Jonathan,

We need to address both the ambiguity in the fiber type and the application
distances.
At this point we need simplicity.

Three step process:

1. Simply state the fiber type definitions.

2. Simply state the application space and associated distance objectives.

3. Apply the fiber type definitions to the application distances.

I offered a simple unambiguous definition for the fiber type independent of
distance assumptions.

In order to close on (3.) we need to address the ambiguity in the
application space
distances.

At this point, I believe,

- We have agreement (supported by survey data and standards references)
  that 300 meters is a reasonable upper-bound on expected In-building
premise
  cabling application distances.

What is missing:

1. Agreement on the applicability of the 100 meter distance objective.

The 100 meter objective is historically linked to the overall objective of
supporting ethernet over 100 meters of horizontal cabling i.e., supporting
the ISO/IEC 11801 horizontal cabling distance.

2. Appropriate distances for the data center, central office and
equipment room (equipment room cabling distances are available).

What next:

- We need to clearly establish that the "historical" 100 meter objective
still applies  to the 10 Gb/s Ethernet in-building application space.

- We need agreement on the 10 Gb/s In-building application space in order to
establish distance targets. I believe we have clearly addressed premise
cabling
distances i.e., horizontal and backbone cabling distance.

- We need to clearly identify the appropriate distances for the data center,
central office
and  equipment room (equipment room cabling distances are available).

Regards,

Chris Di Minico

Cable Design Technologies (CDT) Corporation
Director of Network Systems Technology
Phone: 800-422-9961 ext:333
e-mail: cd@mohawk-cdt.com