FW: Fwd: AW: 10 GbE WAN

Title: FW: Fwd: AW: 10 GbE WAN

Re, resend.

-----Original Message-----
From:   Martin, David [SKY:1I63-M:EXCH]
Sent:   Monday, August 28, 2000 10:03 AM
To:     'stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org(INTERNET)'
Subject:        FW: Fwd: AW: 10 GbE WAN

Resend

-----Original Message-----
From:   Martin, David [SKY:1I63-M:EXCH]
Sent:   Sunday, August 27, 2000 9:16 PM
To:     stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject:        RE: Fwd: AW: 10 GbE WAN

Roy,

I would expect that if a customer wanted an ELTE, they could say:
make me a box with an IEEE 802.3ae 10GE WAN PHY port on one
side & an ITU G.707 STM-64/OC-192 port on the other side. The
vendor then ensures the internal pieces of the box do the appropriate
translation. I don't think a standards effort is needed for internal
functionality.

Regarding ASON standardization, it is being driven in T1X1.5 and
ITU SG15/13 (c.f. draft G.ASON). I don't think a parallel effort is warranted.

I agree that the full use of K-Bytes for the WAN PHY is not necessary.
Perhaps though, K2 bits '6-8' for AIS-L & RDI-L might be of value
for fault isolation.

...Dave