RE: (Another) Question Regarding Open-Loop Control Mechanism

Hello Pat,
Please see below:

Agree. So lets look at the path: MAC-XGXS-PHY-PHY-XGXS-MAC, assuming max
frequency difference of 200ppm end to end,  and any of the entities works
with a different clock source. In the worst case, it may happen that in all
entities, the threshold is exceeded at the same time , but there is only one
/R/ column in the IPG. Then, only one entity can delete the /R/ column, but
since this deletion is enough for many packets, in the next IPG the next
entity will delete /R/ and so on. 3 bits/packet means that /R/ column is
enough for about 13 packets. so more then 10 entities can delete /R/ before
the first one has to delete /R/ column again.
 So, if your water mark is far enough from the end of your FIFO, and thus
enables you to wait to the next packet IPG if you do not find an /R/ column,
then even if you have more than 10 entities with different clock, you should
not have a problem.

> Secondly, the 64b/66b encoding requires that the minimum
> interpacket gap
> be 8 bytes. Take the case where the last byte of a packet fell on the
> last byte of a code block. The next block would encode the T
> that terminates
> the packet and that block cannot encode an S. The earliest an S can be
> sent is the start of the next block which means that the idle
> has to be
> 8 bytes. If an XGXS is allowed to send the 64b/66b PCS a gap less than
> 4 bytes, in some cases the 64b/66b PCS would have to insert a
> set of idles
> and later (when a larger gap arrives because one should not
> get repeated
> short gaps) delete a set.

Do Not Agree In your example, the original gap was 3(/K/) +1 (The /T/) + 8
(Two columns of Idle while packet is generated) which is 12 bytes. Deleting
the /R/ column leavs you with 8, which is enough.

> Thirdly, since the XGXS is an optional sublayer, it cannot
> provide functions
>
> such as idle deletion or insertion to other layers. It may
> perform that
> function
> for to meet its own timing needs. A 64b/66b PCS may interface
> directly to
> the XGMII and therefore must provide rate adaptation for the WAN PHY.

I agree that it does not solve the problem if the 64/66 attached directly to
the XGMII. In this case, this Clock Tolerance compensation function must be
somewhere between the XGMII to the 64/66, at the beginning of the PCS.

> (The layers below the 64b/66b PCS can not provide that
> function because
> the stream has been scrambled before it reaches them and they
> just transmit
> bits without acquiring lock to the blocks.
>
> Regards,
> Pat

However, I think you cannot require that  the clocks in the MAC, DTE-XGXS,
and PHY will be the same.

Best Regards,
Boaz