RE: XGMII Clocks

Rich,

A couple of points regarding the concept of differential clocks.... see
below.

jonathan

--split--

This would only be true if the clock drivers rising and falling times and
logic threshold crossings were equal and not affected by power and
temperature variations. The fact is that a differential drive is
significantly more immune to these variations.

> Since the I/O buffers for data and
> clock would be different, the inherent tracking of data to clock would
> be worse.

--split again--

I don't know how to make this jump... The clock and data are already
inherently different. In one way or another, the clock is running at twice
the rate the data is.

> I'm assuming that what is meant here is that only the clock
> would be differential, not the data. Otherwise, double the number of
> XGMII signals to 148 from 74. I know of no other standard or proven
> interface where the data is single-ended and the clock is
> differential.

--split again--

But, for all the reasons you list that the two phase clock is not good a
differential clock excels.

> Seems to be a disadvantage to the way it is. For this
> disadvantage, the
> cost is one extra pin.

So, (for the differential clock), we agree that this may have not been done
before. Neither are many of the other things we are doing in this standard's
effort.

Bottom line: is the improvement in EMI, jitter, stability, etc. worth the
price of a pin?

This is something that some SPICE jockeys should be able to demonstrate with
some simple simulations. Takers?