RE: XAUI AC coupling

All,

I agree with Jonathan that the caps fall in the same category as XAUI.  That
is: optional, but not required.  Specing XAUI as mandatory is costly and
unnecessary, and would require proof of need.  Same should go for the caps.

On the other hand, I agree with Jonathan that the caps fall in the same
category as XAUI.  Leaving the "unnecessary but often used" out of the spec
invites incompatible implementations, which is why we specified the optional
XAUI.  Is it the same situation for the caps?

If failing to specify the caps could cause people to come up with
incompatible implementations, then we should specify them and make them
optional.  This was the motivation behind XAUI.  But if it's a trivial issue
then let's not waste time on it.  This is the motivation behind not
specifying too much, such as whether data pins should be arranged in
clockwise increasing order or not.  Perhaps in the future, we will have to
do that too because swapping the order cannot be done reasonably.

My guess is that the caps are trivial, because worst case they're easy to
change at any point during design or manufacturing (unless you're
integrating them!).  As Rich points out, we're not going between boxes (no
surprises that vendor X's cap choice doesn't work with vendor Y after
shipping).

So, I'd recommend leaving them out unless there is feeling that they need to
be specified to ensure compatibility between AC coupled implementations.
Then, I'd specify them as optional unless it could be proven that AC
coupling was required.

-Simon Sabato
-Intel Corporation