Re: XAUI AC coupling

Vipul,

I'd like to set the record straight: Neither I nor anyone else involve
in this thread has ever recommended mandatory DC-coupling. The P802.3ae
approved XAUI baseline, developed initially by the Hari group which
included experts from Ethernet, Fibre Channel and InfiniBand, ended up
requiring AC-coupling. I have proposed removing this requirement and
allowing either AC or DC-coupling. My reading of your first paragraph
suggests that we are in violent agreement. If this is indeed the case,
then the only remaining decision is whether AC and DC-coupling of XAUI
is described in the standard or not. I'm happy going either way on this.
I favor leaving the details to the implementer.

In your second paragraph you seen to waver from violent agreement and
note a very specific application of XAUI as a system ASIC to transceiver
module link. I maintain that this specific application is well outside
the scope of the standard and only representative of one of a myriad of
applications for XAUI. For example, a simple early 10GE XAUI application
is to couple the XAUI output directly to a laser diver and
post-amplifier set of a WWDM module. The XAUI interface is short, the
laser driver to XAUI interface is likely to be custom, and DC-coupling
is appropriate. As I have pointed out in prior notes, a prevalent XAUI
application will be as a fixed chip-to-chip interconnect not involving
optical modules at all. It is a straightforward implementation detail to
select either AC or DC-coupling in the latter scenario. The standard
should not dictate sub-optimal implementations.

Vipul, I can't seem to place you in either the "Mandatory AC-coupling"
or "Allowable AC or DC-coupling" categories. From your last note it
seems like you're abstaining. I'd also like to get other's perspective
on this issue.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Vipul Bhatt wrote:

> Rich,
>
> Let's see if we can refine the question, in the hope of making progress.
>
> We do have some common ground: If a PHY module is going to be purchased
> by a switch manufacturer, it will likely end up as a pluggable or
> solderable module, at the XAUI interface. To manage the multiple
> buyer-supplier scenarios, it is best to use AC coupling. If, however, a
> PHY module is going to be integrated by the switch manufacturer on a
> single board, then XAUI becomes the switch manufacturer's internal design
> responsibility, and they should have the freedom to choose DC or AC
> coupling. Just as it would be wrong to burden a pluggable module with
> mandated DC coupling, it would be wrong to burden an integrated single
> board design with mandated AC coupling.
>
> Beyond this common ground, where we go from here becomes an interesting
> choice. One approach would be to leave the coupling issue to the
> implementers. Another approach would be to say, the popular purpose of
> XAUI is to allow easy separation of switch and PHY module
> responsibilities, and to allow the implementation of pluggable or
> solderable PHY modules. To help achieve that purpose in a bullet-proof
> fashion, we should mandate AC coupling. This is the "majority gets its
> way" approach. At the moment, I favor the second approach. To make
> further progress, it will help to know what others think.
>
> Regards,
> Vipul
>
> vipul.bhatt@finisar.com
> (408)542-4113

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com