Re: Proposal: XGMII = XBI+

Rich,

I also agree with Howard Frazier's comment.  XGMII is a short term solution
for all devices.  XAUI is probably the long term solution.

However, I think that source synchronous can be easier to implement than
source centered.  It depends on the device that you are implementing in.

On the receive input side:  If you are in an ASIC, there is a clock tree
between the receive clock and the receive FF clock pin inside the device.
This causes a inherent delay shift. Source synchronous input is easier.
This can be part of the delay needed.  If you want source centered, this delay
shift must be removed.  You have to add this same delay to all the data
lines.  This can be done fairly accurately by adding the same clock tree gates
or by adding the same delay that tracks over process.  This is sometimes done in
FPGAs automatically.

From an FPGA data sheet:
An optional delay element at the D-input of this flip-flop eliminates pad-to-pad
hold time. The delay is matched to the internal clock-distribution delay of
the FPGA, and when used, assures that the pad-to-pad hold time is zero.

On the transmit output side:  If you are in an ASIC, there is a clock tree
between the clock source and the transmit FF clock pin, but probably not to the
output clock pin.  This causes no delay.  Source synchronous output is easier.
If you want source centered output, a delay must be added.

Somewhere a delay must be added if both the transmit and receive side will
communicate with each other without PCB trace delay.  With Source Synchronous,
it is in one place.  With Source Centered, it is in two places.  In an FPGA,
this may not be obvious, but it is happening.

Both methods will work, but having delay in only one place should add better
margin.  The best margin would be to place the delay on the PCB, but this may
not be necessary.

/Brian Cruikshank