Re: XAUI AC coupling

Richard,

Then we would have to change the wording and scope of XAUI to be only a
pluggable module interconnect. I don't believe that this is in the best
interest of P802.3ae. The alternative solution is to not specify the
XAUI signal coupling method as is the case for all other 802.3
chip-to-chip interfaces.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

richard_dugan@agilent.com wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I would strongly oppose allowing DC-coupling in the spec since we would then
> have to pick a DC level.  This would certainly hamper some technologies over
> others and lead to sub-optimum solutions, either now or in the future.
> Pluggable modules need to be AC coupled.  Whether or not someone wants to
> use a proprietary chip-to-chip solution on a backplane is another issue, one
> that should be outside the scope of the standard.
>
> So given your choices below I vote for only AC-coupling.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Richard

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com