RE: Source centered vs source sync

Rich,
I do not agree.
I'm thinking that the change (Moving from Source Centered to Source
Synchronous) forces designs to use CMOS Delay Elements that were not needed
before.

First, even if what you say was true, then for those designs which are using
312.5 internal clock, creating a Source-Centered timing is very simple and
does not require any type of Delay-Element (And this is true for the MAC/RS
layer or even the 10GBASE-R PCS with direct XGMII, so that the optional
nature of the XAUI/XGXS is not relevant here).

Second, I think that 312.5 design is simpler and with lower complexity than
156.25 design. This is because of two reasons: 1. Most of ASIC design tools
are built to work with a SINGLE clock edge (Typically rising) and 2. Using a
single edge 156.25 clock means wider architecture in terms of conductors and
metals, and more area.

The change enforces the designs to use Delay Element. Either on the board,
or in the silicon. If it is on the silicon it creates a yield problem,
because of the big variance (x3) from best case to worst case delays. If its
on the board, its another device with value which is depending on XGMII
length, Board trace and physical structure.

(I may be true that for 156.25 designs you need the delay elements anyway)

I think that the real question here is: Is there any objection to go back to
the original proposal:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/frazier_1_0700.pdf

Boaz