Re: XAUI AC coupling

Ali,

That would be a mute point is AC-coupling operation is required and
DC-coupling is allowed in a note which essentially has no teeth,
compliance requirements, etc.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Ali Ghiasi wrote:

> Rich Taborek wrote:
> >
> > Ladies and Gentlemen,
> >
> HI Rich
>
> You also need to ask the people who still want Dc-coupling, how many
> would agree to a common mode
> voltage.  Earlier when I proposed a common mode voltage and a method of
> AC and DC coupling everyone
> wanted their own common mode voltage. Without agreeing t to a common
> mode we have no standard and no point to discuss it under 802.3.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ali Ghiasi
> Newport Comunication
>
> > A recap of which way folks are leaning on this issue:
> >
> > Allow AC or DC-coupling
> >
> >  Ed Grivna - Cypress
> >  Dawson Kesling - Intel
> >  Jeff Porter - Motorola
> >  Rich Taborek - nSerial
> >  Simon Sabato - Intel
> >  Tom Palkert - AMCC
> >  Sharam Hakimi - Lucent
> >  Fred Weniger - Vitesse
> >
> > Mandatory AC-coupling
> >
> >  Vipul Bhatt - Finisar
> >  Larry Miller - Nortel
> >  Joel Dedrick - PMC-Sierra
> >  Richard Dugan - Agilent
> >  Justin Chang - Quake
> >  Ali Ghiasi - Newport Communications
> >  Chris Simoneaux - Picolight
> >  Pat Thaler - Agilent
> >  Geoff Thompson - Nortel
> >  Howard Frazier - Cisco
> >
> > Clearly there's no clear direction. However, as a compromise, I'm not
> > averse to going in the following direction: Specify and mandate
> > AC-coupled operation for XAUI. An note accompanying the coupling text
> > should allow DC-coupled operation in XAUI links which meet all other
> > XAUI specifications. Furthermore the overview and application subclauses
> > must be modified to show cause for AC-coupling is required. The current
> > test strongly suggests that DC-coupling is more appropriate (i.e.
> > chip-to-chip interconnect). What say?

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com