RE: wis scrambler vs 64/66 scrambler

Ben,

I think Eric was referring to a real difference in the scramblers.
The 64B/66B scrambler is a self-synchronizing scrambler and the
WIS scrambler is a side-stream scrambler.

Eric,

There are two basic types of scramblers.

A self-syncyhronizing scrambler feeds the xor of the scrambler
terms and the data into the transmit scrambler. That is, the
transmitted stream is also the input to the transmit scrambler
shift register. The receive descrambler feeds the same stream
into its shift register. The advantage of this type of scrambler
is that the receive descrambler becomes synchronized to the
transmit scrambler as soon as n bits (where n is the length
of the scrambler) have been received. The disadvantage of this
type of scrambler is that a single received bit error can cause
an error in the received data each time that bit error hits
a descrambler tap. For example, a single bit error received by
the x^58 + x^39 + 1 scrambler will produce 3 errors in the received
data. By careful selection of the scrambler polynomial with respect
to the CRC polynomial, the CRC coverage can be maintained and the
effect of this error multiplication effect on system robustness
minimized.

A side-stream scrambler feeds back only the scrambler terms into
its input. The data to be scrambled has no effect on the scrambler
contents. The advantage of this is that it avoids error multiplication.
The disadvantage of this is that some mechanism must be provided
to synchronize the transmit and receive descrambler contents.
For the WIS scrambler, the mechanism is to start the scrambler
with a known seed at the beginning of each Sonet frame. That is why
the WIS clause calls it a frame synchronous scrambler. I notice that
the WIS clause does not describe this since it covers much of the
scrambler behavior through a reference to the Sonet spec.

I hope this helps. It is a fairly simplified explanation as a great
many considerations go into choosing appropriate scramblers.

Pat