Re: Clause 51 (XSBI) questions

Hello Erik,

Thanks Henning for your responses. FYI ... Henning is "officially" signed up
to help on clause 51. Added comments/responses to your questions

1) max delay variation: The 30ns max number is open to discussion (of course).
    I believe this value (>15UI) was a request by an attendee at the adhoc
    discussion group in La Jolla. The condition for <1KHz is as stated by
    Henning ... a cooling fan fails, temperature fluxuations, etc...

2) section 51.3.1: Agreed that this statement is not needed. Can remove this
    from the next draft. The PMX_TXCLK_SRC is provided help to the PCS to
    generate the proper timing for fig 51-4. It is not required that one uses
the
    PMA_TXCLK_SRC.

3 & 4) timing for input and output (PMA & PCS)
    As was stated by Henning, the XSBI targetted to only spec the
    PMA input (transmit direction) and the PCS input (receive direction).
There
    is not a direct translation from OIF (SFI-4). Most notably is the
    non-inversion of the clock from the PMA to the PCS.

    While this "helps" the systems vendor to not have to do an inversion on
    the board. It does make it inconsistent with the transmit side,i.e. data
is
    latched in on the rising edge of the clock. The transmit side, following
the
    OIF would still warrant the system vendor to do an inversion on the board.
    I don't have a strong position on this but I think it would be attractive
    try and have a consistent edge for both transmit and receive.

Justin

In a message dated 10/12/00 12:50:41 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
henning.lysdal@intel.com writes:

>  Erik, all,
>
>  Being one of Justins "et al"'s, I've filled in some answers below.
>
>  Kind regards
>
>  Henning Lysdal
>

>  Henning Lysdal           Tel.: +45 70 10 10 62
>  Datacom Design Manager       Direct: +45 44 54 61 54
>                   Fax: +45 70 10 10 63
>  GiGA ApS - an Intel Company
>  Mileparken 22            e-mail: henning.lysdal@intel.com
>  2740 Skovlunde           web:    www.giga.dk