Re: IPG variation rule

Juan,

I agree with your specification. It fixes the ambiguity between the
imprecise text and the table, which represents a specific
implementation. I suggest changing the text per your recommendation and
leaving in the table in D1.1. The table may be removed in a later draft
as extraneous by comment.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Juan Pineda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose a precise specificaiton of the IPG variation
> concept proposed in:
>
> > http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/jul00/haddock_1_0700.pdf
>
> Haddock_1_0700 gives a table which embodies a specific implementation
> which satisfies the concept, but it does not provide a precise way to
> test whether other implementations might also satisfy the concept.  I
> believe that the specification proposed in this Email is consistant with
> haddock_1_0700, so this isn't a change in what haddock_1_0700 proposes,
> only a different way of stating it.  Here is what I would propose:
>
> "The IPG may be less than 12 Idles in length provided that the
> accumulated IPG Deficit Idle Count (DIC) does not exceed 3.  The DIC is
> computed at the end of each Inter Packet Gap as follows:
>
>     DIC = max( 0, DIC + 12 - IPG_length)
>
> This rule is necessary to allow SOP alignment of the output of the MAC
> in the case that packets are spaced by minimum Inter Packet Gaps.
> Without this rule, aligning an unaligned SOP following a minimum length
> IPG could only be effected by increasing the IPG length, and this would
> change the data rate.  Note also that the minimum IPG permitted by this
> rule is 9 bytes."
>
> The rule works by ensuring that no more than 3 Idles are stolen from the
> IPGs of any contiguous series of packets.  Note that the deficit could
> last an indefinite amount of time, so the concept of average can't
> really applied cleanly to defining IPG variation.
>
> Juan Pineda
> Bravida Corporation
> juan@bravidacorp.com

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com