Re: Link Status thoughts

General comment:

Pins = Bad

I believe that the limiting amp stage should have a signal detect
function built into it, and should squelch its output when the
incoming signal is below the noise floor.

For AC coupled systems, this implies the addition of a bias to
the PCS receive input so that it doesn't chatter when the
PMD receive output is squelched.  The "flat line" state observed
by the PCS receiver will be a sufficient indication of a dead link.

We can't rely on MDIO for signal detect reporting between the
PMD and the PCS. We can rely on MDIO for Link Status (a superset
of signal detect) reporting between the PCS and Station Management.

Howard Frazier
DomiNet Systems, Inc.