Re: Link Status thoughts

Hi Howard,

part of what you suggest here makes sense, but I dissagree with
a different part.

The part I don't like is the idea that the PCS receive should
have a bias to prevent chatter in an AC-coupled connection.
I don't particularly like offset-biased differential connections
because they cause duty cycle distortion of the signal.

I think you suggested the best solution in your first paragraph;
i.e., that being to have the PCS receive also have a signal
detect (peak differential-amplitude detector) and to squelch the
line receiver if there is insufficient amplitude.

Regards,

Ed Grivna
Cypress Semiconductor