Re: Link Status thoughts

Tripathi,

Please help me with a definition of and requirements for "ring
protection mechanisms". My sense is that robust handling of
signal_detect at each link element receiver addresses these
requirements.

Please also explain what you mean by a "MDC/MDIO multi master interface"
and how this ties into the processing Link Status information.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Devendra Tripathi wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> One related point to this is the ring protection mechanisms which are being
> handled separately. It is important that Link status information reaches
> the MAC layer in real time
> which as you have pointed here is not possible via MDC/MDIO (unless it is
> made multi master
> interface).
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Devendra Tripathi
> Vitesse Semoconductor Corporation
> 3100 De La Cruz Boulevard
> Santa Clara, CA  95054
> Phone: (408) 986-4380 Ext 103
> Fax:    (408) 986-6050

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com