RE: Link Status thoughts

Lior,

/E/ would normally be transmitted when any of the physical sublayers (e.g.
a PCS or an XGXS) receives bytes that it cannot encode. For instance, if
a DTE XGXS got a byte from the XGMII that was a control byte but did not
have a valid control code or if the 10GBASE-X PCS received a byte that
had a code violation. They are normally caused by bit errors.

Also, if a sublayer receives an /E/, it will transmit an /E/.

The purpose of /E/ is to protect against an error getting turned into
a valid code that might end up producing a packet with an undetectable
error.

There are two proposals for break link and remote fault siganlling. The
802.3ae task force has not made any decision on the matter yet. By the way,
since
we have an approved project, the group is no longer called HSSG, High
Speed Study Group. A study group exists to study what project if any
should be initiated. Once the project is approved, it isn't a study
group any more.

802.3ae has not adopted any objectives for any kind of auto negotiation
protocol. All the links we have defined will initialize using the
normal data signals -- no training signals are needed.

Pat Thaler