RE: Question? 1300nm WWDM channel width

Jeff,

I agree with what you are saying.

Furthermore, the Typical spec for 1300nm DFBs and VCSELs are 0.085nm/*C.
The Maximum spec is 0.1nm/*C.  In determining the junction temperature range
that the lasers will see, there are several factors to consider.  The
tolerance of the temperature measuring equipment of the laser vendor can
introduce an error in the wavelength.  The amount of current being applied
to the laser directly effects the junction temperature and therefore the
wavelength of the laser.  I do not believe one can easily design a
transceiver for operation from 0 to 70*C with only a 10*C  margin. One
should at least have a 20*C margin.  A 30*C margin would be nice and safe.

Using only the typical numbers:
Temperature variation: 0.085nm/*C x (70*C+20*C) = 7.7nm
Laser tolerance at a particular temperature: 11.4nm - 7.7nm = 3.7nm

Therefore, the laser manufacutures have a +/- 1.8nm spec.  A spec of +/- 3nm
would significantly increase the yield and reduce the cost of the lasers.

If we are trying to make a specification that is conservative and not on the
edge, we should widen the channel width.  With a 14nm channel width, the
filter design and fabrication is still easy.  Why should we complicate the
overall design, reduce the yield of the laser manufacturing, and increase
the costs of the lasers, when we can increase the channel width now very
easily.

Regards,

Eric
Eric B. Grann, Ph.D.