From: Osamu ISHIDA [mailto:ishida@ka2.so-net.ne.jp]
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2000 9:14 PM
To: pat_thaler@agilent.com; stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Cc: rtaborek@earthlink.net; Shimon.Muller@Eng.sun.com
Subject: RE: Link Status thoughts

Pat,

In X-PCS/XGXS, I have seen the following fault indicator candidates:
(please correnct me If I am listing wrong names)

(1) send N fault indicators and N /A/K/R/ Idles alternately (Shimon, Rich)
(2) replace /A/ with the fault indicator (Pat)
(3) put the fault indicator in after each /A/ (Pat, Shimon)
(4) send a fault indicator once every N /A/K/R/ Idles (Rich, Osamu)

You can find Rich's 10GFC proposal in
ftp://ftp.t11.org/t11/pub/fc/10gfc/00-488v0.pdf

Best Regards,
Osamu

At 18:26 00/11/02 -0700, pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:
> I have not been following Fibre Channel so I don't know the details of
your
> proposal that was made there. There appear to me to be two choices to
insert
> a fault indication with random /A/ spacing. Either replace the /A/ with
the
> fault indication or put the fault indication in after the /A/. I slightly
> prefer the latter because then the sync process only has to align on /A/
> and it can align in the presence of the fault indication.

Osamu Ishida,ishida@exa.onlab.ntt.co.jp
NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
TEL:+81-468-59-3263 FAX:+81-468-55-1282