Re: XGMII electricals -> MDIO electricals

Hi Tripathi,

When you say keep the current electrical specification I assume you are
referring to the Clause 22 specification and I guess that the reason for this is
to allow the 10Gb/s devices, with the new Clause 33 MDC/MDIO bus, to co-exist on
the same MDC/MDIO bus as the existing 10/100/1000Mb/s parts that have the Clause
22 MDC/MDIO bus. You however then go on to say multiply the clock frequency by
10. Now I may be missing something but unfortunately I believe that increasing
the maximum clock frequency by 10 will mean that the new Clause 33 MDC/MDIO
devices will no longer be able to exist on the same MDC/MDIO bus a exiting
(Clause 22) parts. The reason for this is the existing parts may not be designed
to operate at any MDC speed any higher than that specified in Clause 22.
Exposing these devices to this higher speed clock may make them operate
incorrectly which in turn may corrupt the operation of the entire MDC/MDIO bus.
I therefore believe that if you wish to maintain backward compatibility with the
voltage, you have to also maintain backward compatibility with the timing
specification.

Now I suppose one option would be to specify a higher speed clock for the Clause
33 MDC/MDIO but require that at startup a MDC/MDIO master (STA) poll all the
devices on the bus to see if they are all Clause 33 devices. If they all are
then the bus can operate at the higher speed, if they are not then the bus would
have to operate at the Clause 22 speed. Is that what you were proposing ?

Regards,
   David Law

Devendra Tripathi <tripathi@vitesse.com> on 03/11/2000 17:53:47

Sent by:  Devendra Tripathi <tripathi@vitesse.com>