Re: XGMII electricals -> MDIO electricals

The limitation on the clock speed was due to the capacitive load
associated with having 32 bi-directional pins on an MDIO bus.
We kept the speed low to make sure that this would be a non-challenging
interface.

I also believe that backwards compatibility is a good thing.  That's
why we chose the "ST=00" escape hatch, and why the UNH IOL team tested
all the existing PHYs they could lay their hands on with the ST=00
code.

If we change the voltage levels, we would need to use a level translation
to maintain compatibility.  If we change the timing, we may throw
compatibility out the window.

I think that one of the applications for 10 Gig is going to be an
uplink on a multi-port 10/100/1G switch.  In this case, it might be
very nice to have 10Gig PHY components on the same MDC/MDIO as the
lower speed PHYs.

Howard Frazier
DomiNet Systems