Re: More comments (clauses 49 & 46)

Hi Pat, Ben

These are really good points, I'm glad we're catching them.

As for point 3,
Maybe I'm confusing the issue, but if the RX receives an E frame (which
it interprets as a valid C frame) it will not detect a violation in
sequencing. But, the way I see it, it will map the E frame into the
corresponding RS control codes for E (0xfe,1 I think...). It seems like
this is what we want. The RS will receive the E codes in the end and
will decide what to do with them - it has the necessary information to
know there was an error there (whether it happened on the Transmit end
or the Receive PCS it can't tell - but it sees the E's)

As to the first point of just one E octet in a valid C field of a T
codeword, I'm not sure what the appropriate action to take is. I see
some validity in the argument to have the PCS replace this with an all E
frame, but I ask myself whether an E following a T implies that the
previous packet is bad. The D before the T is the last octet of the
ethernet packet, the T is there to let you know that - and also to let
you know that the packet was ok (correct me if I'm wrong on this), so -
if there is an E after the T, I'm not convinced it means the packet
wasn't good.

Let me know your thoughts, I just wanted to put out an alternate opinion
on this before changes are made to the draft.

-Dave