RE: RUNT Packets

Louis,

We are writing a standard and need to keep focused on what is in scope for
the standard to define.

The MAC defined in 802.3 doesn't forward a packet to the host until it has
checked. Of course, some implementations may start forwarding the packet
earlier, but providing some mechanism to cause discard of an errored frame
that the MAC has started to forward is an implementation issue for those
MACs and not an 802.3 issue.

The MAC defined in 802.3 also does not take any action with an undersized
frame other than discard it. It does not do any counter update for an
undersized frame. We haven't changed this aspect of the MAC definition. It
has been this way always. Of course, an implementation or an IETF management
standard such as RMON is always free to add additional managed objects that
cover items we did not put in the 802.3 MAC decision. In that case, it is up
to the implementor or the IETF folks to define the way that object works.
The alternative is for someone to propose adding the object to 802.3
management.

I do not see why we are continuing to discuss this subject. Are you
proposing some action for 802.3ae?

Regards,
Pat