PCS Tx Diagram (Clause 48)

Rich,
Couple of remarks about the transmit state machine in D1.1:

Figure 48-7: Tx Source State Machine

1.Sending /A/ or /K/ as the first column in the IDLE pattern should be done
with probability ~0.5 for each. So, it seems enough to choose each of them
based on the value of code_sel (code_sel=1: Send A, code_sel=0: Send /K/).
Thus, I think that the qualification by A_CNT_0 should be eliminated.

2.The path from the "SEND_K" box to the "SEND_DATA" box means that there
might be an IDLE pattern which is composed from a single /K/ column? I think
that this branch should not appear. The "B" point should always be the next
one, because it is associated with the first /R/ column that must exist in
the IDLE pattern

Figure 48-8 PCS transmit idle and Signal state diagram

1.A general remark: When a SIGNAL event occurs, the machine which is
generating code_sel and A_CNT_0 are freeze? I'm asking that because if it
not so, then it may happen that the A_CNT_0=1 event occurs exactly when
TX=SIGNAL occurs. If this happens, then the /A/ column is not transmitted:
Instead, the Encode(SIGNAL) is transmitted.

2.Whats the motivation behind SIGNAL event: Is this the RF? If so, it is not
coordinated with your presentation in Tampa, where you show the RF comes
always after the /A/ column

Figure 48-9: Transmit Sequence

1.If I understand whats written there-You send a sequence until A_CNT_0=1,
then you send /A/, then you send pseudo random /K/ /R/ pattern until
A_CNT_0=1 again, and then you transmit the sequence again. What is the
motivation?

Thx.,
Boaz