Re: Link Status encodings

Pat,

I agree. Pulse is a brand new ordered-set and I will propose it as well
as all of Link Status reporting and initialization for 10GFC use at the
next T11 meeting in Austin the week of 12/4. Using the singaling in
Pulse as a replacement for that in Sequence for Fibre Channel is a good
idea.

I don't see a problem with sharing the code space between 10GFC and
10GE. A 24-bit code space is available and both FC and 10GE together
would share but a few and use but a small handful in totality.

I haven't heard a better name than Pulse yet so I'll stick with it.
"Phy" and "Link" are completely non descriptive. "Link Status" describes
a particular application and would be too restrictive. I see a strong
possibility of using the Pulse ordered-set signaling to replace that of
the 10GFC Sequence ordered-set. In that case, Pulse goes away and we end
up with Sequence. How does this sound?

Best Regards,
Rich

--

pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

> Rich,
>
> There are fairly few control codes available in the 10B space. Before we
> decide to burn another one for ordered sets, I would like to see Fibre
> Channel figure out whether they can use the "Pulse" style insertion in place
> of the sequence ordered sets. As I said at the meeting, it is not obvious
> that the sequence insertion that you have proposed to Fibre Channel yields
> acceptable EMI spectrum. We could divide the code space of the pulse ordered
> sets between Ethernet and FC usage. For instance, we could give half the
> values of the first data byte to each.
>
> Also, I agree with Birdy that the name Pulse Ordered-Set does not denote its
> operation and is confusing because of the normal physical meaning of pulse.
> Other possible candidates:
>
>   Phy Ordered Set
>   Link Ordered Set
>
> Pat

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com