Re: [Fwd: Xaui jitter tolerance]

(To FC folks - this message is essentially the same message I sent to T11.2 earlier today).
******

Mike - refer to Annex G of the FC-MJS report for an explanation for 1667. It is something I wrote, so it should be questioned...

A lot of the history relates to SONET. I personally would be very reluctant to take a radical departure until someone really understands why SONET did what they did and what the tradeoffs were/are.

The 100ppm requirement would be less of an issue with higher corner frequency, not more.

Your point about over-tracking (your CJTPAT discussion) is valid. If the CDR is too fast and tracks every little bit of noise and jitter that comes along, we're asking for trouble. If we think about CDRs as high-pass filters, complex jitter with fundamentals below the corner frequency gets "differentiated", which can effectively double the peak to peak jitter the CDR has to dissipate. (Think about sending a low frequency square wave through a high-pass RC filter). There has been a lot of work done on this, both analytically and in the lab.

Tom Lindsay
Vixel
425/806-4074