From: Speers, Ted [mailto:Ted.Speers@actel.com]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 3:36 PM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: I/F locations

	I realize this is an implementation question, but is there a likely
demarcation point between the transceiver module and the MAC.  It's hard to
sort out a lot of these discussions (LSS, XAUI/SUPI, etc.) without have this
in proper context.

	Possible points of demarcation would seem to be either the XAUI or
the XSBI interfaces.  I've seen presentations suggesting both.

	It seems that a break at the XSBI would offer the most in terms of
end-user flexibility and economies of scale for both the users and the
vendors ... with one exception, 10GBASE-X4 would be left out in the cold
because, as far as I can tell, there is no way to implement the standard
across an XSBI.

	Ted Speers
	Strategic Marketing
	Actel