Clause 51: Loopback mode (I/O and serial state)

Resend of earlier posting that may not have gone onto the reflector. It was
suggested
that I repost. See below.

Justin Chang
Quake Technologies, Inc.
50 Airport Parkway, San Jose, CA. 95110
Tel: 408-437-7723 email: justin@quaketech.com
Fax: 408-437-4923 internet: www.quaketech.com
--------
Hello,

OK one more XSBI memo (for today) ... as stated in the clause, there
is an optional loopback mode. The type of loopback is open to the user
(serial or parallel). I pose the questions of

1) Should we spec the I/O type for the control input
2) State of output serial stream in loopback mode ... brief discussion was
    that the serial output should be static (either 1's or 0's)

I would put forth that the input be consistent w/ the LOS and Sync_Err type
and that the serial output should be a logic "0" (no light on PMD).

Comments?