From: Ben Brown [mailto:bbrown@amcc.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2000 8:19 PM
To: 802.3ae
Subject: Re: delay constraints from XGMII to XAUI

Brad,

I just wanted to pick up on something you wrote:

"Booth, Bradley" wrote:

> Flow control is also only for point-to-point links.

I hope you aren't implying that a WAN link with multiple
lines & sections (do I have the nomenclature correct?) is
not a point-to-point link. From an ethernet MAC perspective,
these are just as point-to-point as a 3 meter jumper.

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of buffering
required to run .3x flow control over such a link. I would
be interested in a short note from someone with experience
regarding what kind of potential latencies such a link
might have.

Thanks,
Ben

"Booth, Bradley" wrote:

> Time to hit the RESET button on this one. :-)
>
> First, you are correct in the assumption that a 40km link buffer
requirement
> (1MB, not Mbit) will greatly exceed the internal latency.
>
> Not everyone in the world will design equipment to work up to 40km.  Some
> will create equipment that works up to 65m, and to optimize that
equipment,
> they're not going to want to have 1MB of buffering just for flow control
> (that would be overkill).  In these short distance applications, knowing
the
> maximum latency in the link partner device and in the local device will
> permit designers to optimize their flow control buffering.
>
> Flow control is also only for point-to-point links.
>
> Happy holidays,
> Brad

is
> also dependent
>                 >>upon the transmitter status of the MAC(1) and MAC(2).
Let
> us take an
>                 >>example : MAC(1) is in the process of transmitting a
frame
> of about 1500
>                 >>bytes and it saw pause command assertion. The MAC(1)
first
> completes its
>                 >>frame transmission and then only it transmits the PAUSE
> frame. Similarly
>                 >>when MAC(2) is in process of transmitting a frame of
about
> 1500 bytes and
>                 >>it receives the PAUSE frame, then it first completes its
> frame
>                 >>transmission before executing PAUSE. So this delay is
not
> the
>                 >>only  linear delay of transfer between the MACs.
>                 >>
>                 >>am I right Boaz?
>                 >>
>                 >>Best Regards,