From: Vinu Arumugham [mailto:vinu@cisco.com]
Sent: 27. december 2000 00:26
To: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Cc: Jscquake@aol.com; brian.cruikshank@conexant.com; david.lockart@conexant.com
Subject: Re: XSBI: cls51 PCS output timing

There does not appear to a be a jitter spec. (period jitter) for the PMA_TX_CLK (and PMA_RX_CLK). The 175 ps number used in one of the posts below does not seem to be the correct parameter for the timing calculations on this interface. As a result, the worst case data valid window cannot be accurately calculated.

I suggest that the specification be simplified by using the XGMII format to specify timing. This will preclude the need to specify jitter separately for this interface (A jitter spec. for the PMA_TXCLK_SRC signal is needed).

Specify output Tsetup+Thold=930 ps (60% of 1/644.5321258).
Specify input Tsetup=Thold=230 ps (15% of 1/644.5321258).

Please see attached document. The document discusses frequency independent timing specification for DDR and is easily
applied to non-DDR source synchronous interfaces. This was used as the basis for the XGMII timing specification.

Thanks,
Vinu

Jscquake@aol.com wrote:

Hello Brian,

The difference in the XSBI spec is not in the PCS, PMA output but rather the
PMA and PCS inputs ... setup and hold times. The PMA is spec'd at a min
of 250ps while the PCS input is spec'd for 300ps. The thinking at the time
was that the PMA technology would be "better" and can take less setup and
hold times (250ps vs 300ps), i.e. it can latch faster.
Upon recent further thinking, this asymmetry on the budget for TX and RX does
not make sense. I would say that the budget for the PCB/connector/traces
would have to be the same in both directions. Thus ...  either the PMA output
would need to tighten up or the PCS input would also have to meet the 250ps
setup and hold.
I would think that the system designer would opt for the maintaining a 600ps
allowance.

Justin

In a message dated 12/12/00 6:58:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,