RE: New 802.3ae link model

Roy,

Good question.

The "Power Budget" here is the minimum transmitted power less the nominal
receiver sensitivity.  Using the 1300 nm serial example,

Tx min     	     	-4 dBm
-Rx sensitivity* 	-14 dBm
     	     	     	----
Power budget     	10 dB
-Connections     	2 dB
     	     	     	----
PwrBud.-Conn.Loss	8 dB
-Fiber att'n     	5 dB
     	     	     	----
For impairments  	3 dB
-Eye penalty     	~2 dB
-Path penalty    	~1/2 dB
     	     	     	----
Margin     	     	~1/2 dB
     	     	     	----

* Note that this receiver sensitivity is measured with a good eye and so is
2-3 dB different to a receiver sensitivity measured by the telecoms way of
doing things.

To be clear, I repeat the calculation the telecoms way:

Tx min		-4 dBm
-Rx sensitivity2$ ~-12 dBm
     	     	     	----
Power budget     	8 dB
-Fiber&conn.att'n	7 dB
     	     	     	----
For impairments  	1 dB
(Eye penalty     	0 dB)
-Path penalty    	~1/2 dB
     	     	     	----
Margin     	     	~1/2 dB
     	     	     	----

$ This receiver sensitivity is measured with a worst transmitted eye.

The plan of record has effectively two patch panels - e.g. Draft 2 Subclause
52.11 Fig. 52-8.  I have proposed extra text to this subclause:

" A channel may contain additional connectors or other optical elements as
long as the optical characteristics of the channel, such as attenuation,
dispersion, reflections, polarisation mode dispersion and modal bandwidth
meet the specifications."

So for example if you used 10 km of G.652.B cable at 0.4 dB/km at 1310 nm,
you would have 3 dB for connectors.  Is that enough?

Piers