Re: Local Fault/Remote Fault

Steve,

Reset...

OK

I mis-spelled/spoke when I said: "a RF condition should cause Link
Status to be set to Fail in the RF transmitting and receiving devices."
The second RF should have been an RS.

I agree that the RS is the only point or origin of RF messages.

However, with respect to LF, if a frame enters a device (a.k.a. link
element) which has a fault, and that fault is detected, that device will
block frames and instead forward LF messages. This rationale, seems to
conflict with your last sentence. Shimon Mueller was very adamant that
Fault messages be mutually exclusive with frames.

Happy Holidays,
Rich

--

Steve Haddock wrote:

> Rich,
>
> I tend to agree that a unidirectional link is of little value to the user,
> but to justify this I find I'm assuming things like running 802.1d
> transparent bridging over the link.  Realistically this is a system
> consideration, and the decision of whether to stop transmitting in response
> to a remote or even local fault indication should be made at a system level.
> To me this means that the MAC Client stops sending frames to the MAC, but
> there is history in Ethernet for blocking frame transmission at a lower
> layer.  In any case I think the blocking should be done at a single point in
> the transmit path.  We went to a great deal of trouble to propagate local
> fault indications all the way to the RS and make the RS the only point where
> remote fault indications are generated.  It seems appropriate that this also
> be the only place where frames are blocked when a link fault is detected.
>
> Steve

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@nSerial.com
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com