Re: XAUI jitter tolerance

Allan,

Nothing in the presently proposed jitter spec (1.8 MHz) prohibits
any manufacturer from setting the receiver bandwidth as high as
he wants.  It only prohibits bandwidths below that value.  We don't
need to increase the "break" frequency.  The only thing that would
do is legalize transmitters with worse low frequency jitter.

FWIW, here's the rationale used in Fibre Channel for the Fc/1667
"break" frequency spec:  It's based on a ref clock's low frequency
jitter and "wander".  This is effectively limited by the frequency
tolerance spec (say 100 ppm).  The worst case is that the frequency
slam back and forth between these extremes:

        F = Fref * (1 +/- 0.0001)               cycles/sec

The resulting phase error (the integral of frequency error) is:

        (Tm/2) * 0.0001 * Fref          cycles of the REFCLK

where Tm = 1/Fm, and Fm is the rate at which the REFCLK frequency
slams back and forth between the 100 ppm limits.

If the REFCLK is 1/N of the bit rate (N is generally 10 or 20),
then this peak-peak jitter as a percent of the bit period is

        (Tm/2) * 0.0001 * Fref * N      cycles of the bit-rate clock

For example, at a modulation rate that is 1/1667 of the bit rate
(1.875 MHz for 3.125 Gbps), the jitter is 0.083 of the 320 pS baud.
At higher modulation rates, the jitter is proportionally smaller,
and at lower modulation rates, the jitter is proportionally larger.

Regards,
Mike

Allan Liu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A jitter specification has been proposed by Ali Ghasi of Broadcom for
> XAUI.  At the December Jitter Meeting in Austin, Texas, Agilent made a
> proposal for an improvement.  Those presentations, as well as a summary
> of the meeting by Anthony Sanders(facilitator of the XAUI Jitter Ad-Hoc)
> are available at:
> http://www.ieee802.org/3/ae/public/adhoc/serial_pmd/documents/index.html
>
> Our proposal is to increase the "break" frequency of the jitter
> tolerance mask.  Currently, the proposal puts that "break" frequency at
> 1.8MHz.  We are proposing to push it up higher to 3-5MHz.
> There are four reasons why we believe the time is ripe for making this
> change:
>
> 1) The current "break" frequency was derived from Fibre Channel which
> derived it from Sonet; it's equal to the fundamental frequency divided
> by 1667.  I have looked long and hard and I have not found any
> documentation as to why this number was picked.  If anybody has an
> explanation, there is massive group of people waiting to hear the
> answer, including myself.  In the meanwhile, let me just repeat what I
> have heard from different people; this is in line with what Larry Devito
> of Analog Devices has posted to the reflector before.  Current wisdom
> has it that this number had to do with old SAW filter technology that
> was used at the time Sonet was created.  In addition, Sonet had to
> contend with the inherent problems with using regenerators in the system
> and thus had to make their jitter specs more stringent.  And to be
> compatible with older systems, today's Sonet systems are designed to the
> same old spec.  Fibre Channel comes along and copies this spec from
> Sonet.  Infiniband comes along and copies it from Fibre Channel.  And
> now, XAUI comes along and also wants to copy it from Fibre Channel.  And
> nobody knows why! XAUI is brand new and does not carry any old baggage.
> We have a chance to do it right and to write the specification to
> reflect current technologies and current implementations.
>
> 2) Today's Fibre Channel systems use receivers with a much higher
> bandwidth.  My measurements show that they are in the 3-5MHz range.
> During the December meeting, Jeff Cain of Cisco said their 1G Ethernet
> systems are using SerDes with bandwidths in the same range.  And all
> these systems are working perfectly.  So why do we continue to limit
> ourselves to a legacy specification that everybody exceeds? We should
> write the XAUI spec to reflect what people are implementing and what
> makes sense.  And from my understanding of how receivers work, a higher
> bandwidth equals better performance.
>
> 3) Other technologies do not necessarily have the same ambitious cost
> structure as Ethernet historically has.  XAUI is suppose to be a low
> cost interface to connect the optics to the MAC.  At 3.125G, it is not
> easy to build a functional system.  Increasing the "break" frequency
> [...]

 Mike Jenkins               Phone: 408.433.7901            _____
 LSI Logic Corp, ms/G715      Fax: 408.433.7461        LSI|LOGIC| (R)
 1525 McCarthy Blvd.       mailto:Jenkins@LSIL.com        |     |
 Milpitas, CA  95035         http://www.lsilogic.com      |_____|