RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Dave, Tom, James and all,

I apologize but it was not my intention to suggest you to directly
interface the WAN PHY to standard SONET/SDH network (I completely
agree with you all, ELTE is needed).

My intention was to make you aware of the new emerging standard that
defines OTN (Optical Transport Network) in ITU-T (G.709).
OTN is a "server layer" also for SONET/SDH services (i.e. for the
first time, SONET/SDH is a "client layer").
OTN is a "networking solution": it comprises its own performance
monitor, path provision, ... functions.
A CBR10G client signal (see my previous mail) is seen from OTN as a
constant bit rate stream.

I know that one 802.3 "philosophy" is to increase bandwidth by 10
with a cost increasing of only 3 or 4, for each new generation; I
wander if (for WAN interfaces only, not for LAN ones) it is convenient
to make today a "little" exception, to gain advantage from the above
mentioned new ITU-T standard.

Best regards,
Luigi