Re: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

James, Tom,

I want to clarify Luigi's email; his point concerns the Optical Transport Network
(OTN) defined in
G.709; it does not concern the SONET network.  I think this may have gotten lost
in the discussion.

Mappings have been defined in
G.709 to map constant bit rate (CBR) client signals into the OTN.  One of
these mappings is for a 9.95328 Gbit/s nominal frequency client signal.  The
mapping
requires that the CBR client
have a frequency that is within +/- 20 ppm of the nominal frequency.
The 9.95328 Gbit/s signal could be an OC-192 or STM-64 or, if desired, a
10 Gbe WAN signal.
If there is a desire that it be possible for the 10 Gbe WAN signal to be
carried by the OTN, then it would have to have a +/- 20 ppm frequency
tolerance (this is based on the way the mapping is defined).

Note that this is independent of the SONET network and whether or not
there is an ELTE at the other end of the WAN PHY link; rather, it is related
to whether it will be possible for
the WAN PHY to be carried over the OTN.

Regards,

Geoff Garner