RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Gary,

Several vendors are working a "Digital Wrapper" that is supposed to allow
the mapping of any optical data signal on to the OTN.  The problems are:
the "Digital Wrapper" is not vendor interoperable in implementation; the
"Digital Wrapper" is green field and would require a long time to build out
any size of operational environment; the "Digital Wrapper" is new
technology and is very expensive;  the "Digital Wrapper" is new technology
that is even more complex than SONET or SDH and would require a new
training cycle for all support and operations people, making cost of
operations higher; the "Digital Wrapper" is high bandwidth overhead which
requires expensive electronics to implement; etc.  Some of these
propositions may change over the next ten years, but P802.3ae can not wait
that long.

Thank  you,
Roy Bynum