RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Hi Gary, and All,

Here is the clock and its tolerance of the client signal for G.709 OTN
(Optical Transport Network) that will be approved by ITU-T (Feb 2001).
It does not support the direct mapping of 10.3 Gb/s LAN-PHY signal.

a) it accepts OC-192c (9 953 280 kbit/s) format with approximately
   +/- 45 ppm clock tolerance (CBR10G asynchronous mapping into OPU2)
   OPU2: Optical Channel Payload Unit 2 (OPU1 is for 2.5G, OPU3 is for 40G)

b) it accepts OC-192c (9 953 280 kbit/s) with +/- 20 ppm tolerance
   (CBR10G bit-synchronous mapping into OPU2)

c) it accepts bit stream (approximately 9 995 276.962 kbit/s) with
   +/- 20 ppm tolerance
   (Mapping of non-specific client bit stream into OPU2)

The possible directions I see in the 802.3ae WAN-PHY are;

1) no change.
   WAN-PHY signal with +/- 100 ppm tolerance will be accommodated into
   OTN by ELTE (i.e. by using SONET pointer manipulation mechanism).

2) reduce the WAN-PHY clock tolerance to +/- 45ppm.
   This will allow us to map the WAN-PHY signal into OPU2 directly if
   the OTN edge equipment supports asynchronous mapping (i.e. byte
   stuffing mechanism similar to that using the SONET H3 byte).

3) reduce the WAN-PHY clock tolerance to +/- 20ppm.
   This will allow us to map the WAN-PHY signal into OPU2 directly
   even if the OTN edge equipment only supports bit-synchronous mapping
   (i.e. WAN-PHY clock is used in the OTN signal as well).

I have no preference in the above three directions since my own
interest is to have 9.29 Gb/s MAC rate from the LAN Equipment.
Instead, I recommend vendors to support one more MAC rate of
9.61 Gb/s.  This will allow us to map 64/66-encoded LAN-PHY signals
into OPU2 by simply deleting the inter-frame Idles.

(9.61 Gb/s = 9 953 280 kbit/s * 64/66 * 237/238)

Best Regards,
Osamu

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04293.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04277.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04259.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04261.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04254.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04255.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04252.html

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04249.html

At 12:02 01/01/09 -0800, Devendra Tripathi wrote:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10G_study/email/msg04213.html
> Right now we are specifying the clock tolerance of 100 ppm.
> Currently in-expensive oscillators are available with tolerance
> value less than 50 ppm. Just like we are moving voltage levels,
> it is time we revise the tolerance value too. The elastic buffer
> requirements get simplified by this assumption. I propose that
> we reduce it to 50 ppm.

Osamu Ishida,ishida@exa.onlab.ntt.co.jp
NTT Network Innovation Laboratories
TEL:+81-468-59-3263 FAX:+81-468-55-1282