RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

James,

I have been working in telephony for ten years.  I have never seen an
ELTE.  There is no standard for an ELTE.  As far as I know the "ELTE" is a
mythical device that was invented to explain the operation of an STE/LTE in
802.3 terms.

There is a standard for SONET LTEs and STEs that will work with the limited
overhead bytes currently defined in the 10 GbE WIS.  A DWDM STE that
matches the 10GbE WIS has been announced by one of the transmission systems
vendors.  If the Task Force wants to refer to that equipment as "ELTE" they
can, but it is only seems to be confusing everyone.  In any case, as far as
I am concerned, the issue of the "ELTE" has been resolved.  There is not a
problem.  The current operational maintenance functionality in the WIS stands.

Any other reference to the "ELTE" is implementation specific.  Do we need
to add an annex that diagrams an example of how and why the WIS/"ELTE"
relationship can exist?  Do we need an annex that covers the need for
operational maintenance functionality in un-manned remote system
implementations, such as what the EFM study group saw from Johnathan Moore
of Grant County PUD?  If so, I am not sure that we can get into the current
round of the Draft.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum