From: Roy Bynum [mailto:rabynum@mindspring.com]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 11:17 PM
To: Tricci So; 'pat_thaler@agilent.com'; rtaborek@earthlink.net;
stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Clock Tolerance and WAN PHY

Tricci,

Yes there are some "service providers" that are attempting to use GbE for a
VLAN type of VPNs for Internet types of services.  They are restricted to
local metro systems, even with the extended distance PHYs.  I have talked
with some engineers that support those networks.  The labor overhead for
fault and performance management at remote sites is very expensive.  They
are looking forward to an Ethernet PHY that includes operations management
functionality like the WAN PHY.    In the mean time, they are making do
with what they have just to create market share.  Please do not confuse
what WAN networking people have had to do for years, make do with what they
had because they could not get what they really wanted or needed.  As a
customer, a data network architect, an implementor of LAN and WAN networks,
and someone who has had to support LAN and WAN networks, I am making a
statement for what is needed and wanted in order to do WAN optical
networking, the WAN PHY with operational maintenance functionality.

Thank you.
Roy Bynum