RE: Minimum IPG w/ WIS ?

Julio,

First off, the minimum IPG does not occur in the WIS case. IPGs at the
receiving RS will tend to be much longer than the minimum because the
receiving PCS will put the data rate back up to 10 Gb/s reinserting the
bytes that the transmitting PCS stripped out (plus or minus a little because
of clock compensation).

So IFS stretch isn't particularly relevant to your question. However, I will
point out that I do not get same results as you for IPG sizes with WIS.
The calculation for IFS stretch is:

ifsStretchSize := (ifsStretchCount + headerSize + frameSize +
interFrameSpacing) div ifsStretchRatio

which is for a min frame the integer part of (64 + 512 + 96 plus 0 to 104 in
ifsStretchCount) divided by 104 which means IFS stretch for a min size frame
is 6 to 7

For a max frame, 512 becomes 1522 * 8 for a stretch of 118 to 119 octets.

These are the IPG sizes going into the RS. Coming out of the RS some IPGs
may be shrunk or enlarged by up to 3 octets to align the Start to lane 0.

These numbers shouldn't be surprising because the payload capacity of WIS is
about 8% less than 10 Gb/s.

So, what does cause the minimum IPG. When attached to a LAN Phy, the MAC
puts out a minimum IPG of 96 BT = 12 octet times.

The RS may delay the start of a packet up to 3 octet times to align it to
lane 0 and it may not need to delay the start of the next packet at all.
Therefore, the RS can shrink any individual IPG by up to 3 characters. Note
that this doesn't change the average of IPG lengths. Those 3 characters will
eventually show up added to IPGs when the RS again delays the start of
packets. It is a jitter in packet start rather than a loss of overall idle
time. Never the less,
minimum IPG out of an RS is 9 characters.

If a sublayer doing clock compensation has just reached the FIFO level where
it wants to delete an idle column, then it will delete it when it gets a
chance. That might be just as that 9 character IPG arrives and it will
delete 4 characters from it leaving a 5 character IPG. As you point out, it
won't need to delete again for quite a few columns. (However, you should
find that it may worst case to delete one in every 50,000 columns rather
than one in 100,000 because the incoming clock worst case is +100 PPM and
the outgoing clock is -100 PPM for a difference of 200 PPM.)

Of course, each XGXS and each PCS in the link may be doing clock
compensation. That is unlikely, but each of these sublayers is allowed to.
So there can be up to 6 sublayers doing clock compensation in a path. It is
possible for each of them to be running slightly slower than the one before
it. Then on a very improbable moment, all their FIFOs could reach the point
where they want to delete idle at the same time. If packets are being sent
with minimum IPG, they won't all get to delete in the first IPG. They will
shorten IPGs to the minimum until each of them has had a chance to delete a
column. Over times, all of the deletions will average to one out of every
50,000 columns or less, but in the worst case, 6 of those deletions could be
clumped close together.

I hope this clarifies the process for you.

Regards,
Pat