RE: Ethernet Characteristics re: packet loss

Roy and all,

I've been trying to ignore this discussion because CSMA/CD efficiency isn't
that relevant given the high usage of full duplex today but I just can't
stand to see misconceptions propagated.

The "theoretical effective utilization" of 40% was a number derived from
theory on CSMA/CD algorithms that are easier to analyze but less efficient
than Ethernet's binary exponential backoff mechanism. Utilization is
strongly affected by packet size (because it takes just as long to arbitrate
the network to send a 64 byte packet as a 1518 byte packet. It is also
somewhat affected by network size though that effect is weaker.

For network loads with a reasonable mix of large packets, Ethernet
utilization is much better than the 40% computed by research papers using
less effective algorithms even when not full duplex. The capture effect of
CSMA/CD enhances its efficiency (at the cost of producing somewhat poorer
sharing behavior).

Of course, real networks have lower utilization when the average is computed
over long times because traffic is bursty. Instantaneous utilization of an
Ethernet is always either 100% or 0%. Any other number depends partly on how
long a period is averaged.

If any of you want to understand efficiency and performance of CSMA/CD
throughly, read Mart Molle's excellent work on the subject.

Regards,
Pat