Re: APS support

Itzik Hendel wrote:

> All,
>
> I would like to understand if the 802.3ae WAN PHY can support APS (Automatic
> Protection Switching) between two F/O links.
> As I saw in the WIS section (Cls. 49), the K1/K2 values are set fixed to
> identify as Working Channel.

There is no provision for APS within 802.3. This was done to
reduce system costs since a redundant channel is no longer
required.  If there is a failure in the link, it is elevated to
higher level functions (instead of being at layer 1).

--
Tim Warland     P.Eng.
Hardware Design Engineer  Broadband Products