From: Justin Gaither [mailto:jgaither@rocketchips.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 2:45 PM
To: pat_thaler@agilent.com
Cc: bradley.booth@intel.com; stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Implementation vs. Standard

Pat,
	the MAC statemachines dont say "PCS shall implement its

Transmit process as depicted in Figure 48..., including compliance
with    the associated state variables as specified in 48..."

The PCS statemachines do, and have since 100B Ethernet days.

Should this statement be removed?

justin

pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

> Or in the immortal words of 802.3 (clause 1.2.1 and other places):
>
> The models presented by state diagrams are intended as the primary
> specifications of the functions to be provided. It is important to
> distinguish, however, between a model and a real implementation. The
models
> are optimized for simplicity and clarity of presentation, while any
> realistic implementation may place heavier emphasis on efficiency and
> suitability to a particular implementation technology. It is the
functional
> behavior of any unit that must match the standard, not its internal
> structure. The internal details of the model are
> useful only to the extent that they specify the external behavior clearly
> and precisely.
>
> I don't know of any implementations that put the MAC state machine in real
> Pascal code.
>
> Regards,
> Pat

PUDI(/INVALID/)
> and decoder
>                 placement.  In your reply you said:
>                 Rich Taborek wrote:
>                 >
>                 > Justin,
>                 >
>                 > The Sync state machine is written to operate in the 10B
> domain as is the
>                 > Deskew state machine.
>                 >
>                 > The 10GBASE-X PCS does not mandate the location and
number
> of decoders
>                 > in an implementation. The PCS Sync and Receive state
> machine structure
>                 > is virtually identical to that of the 1000BASE-X PHY.
The