From: Booth, Bradley [mailto:bradley.booth@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2001 10:08 AM
To: stds-802-3-hssg@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Chapter 46: preamble length

Sanjeev,

10GbE does not support CSMA/CD.  In half duplex implementations, some
preamble bits could be lost due to sampling, asynchronous timing and clock
recovery effects.  From my understanding, the preamble was also to permit
the Manchester encoder/decoder to lock to the incoming stream.

In a full duplex system without manchester encoding (like GbE and 10GbE),
the need for all the preamble bits is greatly decreased.  Some GbE MACs were
designed to be able to receive SFD immediately following the reception of
one byte of preamble.  In 10GbE, truncation of the preamble can occur due to
the asynchronous timing associated with the WAN PHY.

Cheers,
Brad