RE: Chapter 46: preamble length

Hi Pat,

>Clause 4 conformance requires MAC to receive a frame with any length of
>preamble.  The clause 46 specification of the RS mapping from the XGMII to
>the PLS service primitives is simarily unambiguous.   Clause 46 requires the
>RS to pass a lane 0 aligned Start, {n*4+2}preamble, SFD ... to MAC as
>{n*4+3}preamble, SFD ... and there is no option to treat it as an error if n
>is equal to 0.  As previously pointed out, the current PHYs don't know
>what's preamble.

Just a question. Don't you think n < 1 should be an error? Since MAC
is unaware of the underlying interface and the lane mechanism (nibble,
byte, 4 lane, 8 lane...) then tying the preamble to 4 lane interface is short-sighted?
I see everybody arguing that we may need to optimize (reduce) the
preamble but I think going forward we need 8 bytes or more (e.g. 8 lanes, 16 lanes..).

Thanks,
Sanjeev