Re: preamble management attributes

Geoff,

I do not think this as a bad idea, may be arguable idea which is beging argued.
And you are right this is MAC attribute and I think that is where
I had proposed it to be addressed. This is not specific to the speed.
It got raised at a time when the length of the preamble is in question.
The objects like frameTooLong, alignementError, frameCheckError,
lengthError are used to indicate the loss of a frame. I do not see why
a reason when a frame was dropped due to not detecting SFD
was ever included in the DTE MAC Sublayer Management facilities Clause.
Because a data frame is getting lost and not being reported anywhere. It takes
only 1 bit to flip and you lost the frame and no reason for it. So, it does provide
as much as info as e.g. frameCheckError provides.

As far as the designing the robust system goes I would say more specific
the standard more robust and interoperable the system would be. The preamble
length discussion is at least pointing out that the standard is not more specific
and has texts that can create confusion. In this specific example: There is no
reason to shrink the preamble and no phy would shrink it but it could somehow
disappear so, force MAC to design for it.

So, I would think it is a good idea to clearly specify that between
from /S/ to /T/ is MAC/RS framing and no other layer is allowed
to touch it. To detect that the lower layer has not violated the
integrity of data between /S/ and /T/ we add one more object
called preambleError that would indicate a loss of frame due to
preamble data (7 bytes of preamble and SFD byte) has been
corrupted.

Thanks,
Sanjeev