Re: fault pinpointing in case of 10gbe

Ashwin,

All of the fault reporting bytes have been retained in the WIS.  If the
fault was the nature of a fiber cut, then the fault will be
dual-simplex.  The insertion of AIS by intermediate active DWDM LREs will
cause a loss of PCS sync at both receivers.  That, along with other WIS
overhead byte information will indicate that somewhere in the service
provider active DWDM optical network there was a fault.  If the DWDM system
has automatic protection at the section level, as some systems do, then a
fiber cut will be restored, PCS sysnc will be recovered and traffic will be
restored at the receiver ends of the network.  If the fault was simplex,
like the failure of a DWDM transporder/LRE/SRE, then only one receiver will
receive an AIS, and the transmitter side of that interface will insert an
error/fault indicator in the return overhead bytes.  That way the end that
is still receiving active traffic will have an indication that there has
been a fault in the network.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum